Adopted July 29, 2003
The American Textile History Museum website adheres to the following policy for ensuring the privacy of your personally identifiable information (such as full name, address, telephone number, and/or other identifiable information.)
Gathering and Use of Information
- We will not collect personally identifiable information from you, pother than what you supply to us on a voluntary basis.
- You might be asked to provide some personally identifiable information in order to participate in some online activities. This could be in connection with the following:a. Contest or sweepstakes registration
b. Subscription registration for services such as email newsletters
c. Transactions on our web pages such as becoming a member, donating to the Annual Fund or buying tickets to events or programs
d. Content submissions, community postings (i.e., forums or bulletin boards), comments and suggestions, voting , or online surveys
- The American Textile History Museum may use your personally identifiable information to extend promotional offers (such as invitations to Museum events) or to provide information requested by users.
- When you are asked to provide personal information, we will explain the extent of its use, for example, to complete an online transaction.
- When you disclose personal information on the Museum website, we may use your address internally to inform you of events and opportunities at the Museum.
- If you do not wish to receive these communications, you may choose to “opt out”. Under certain circumstances, opting out may prevent your participation in activities for which personal information is needed (such as contests).
- We may use personally identifiable information in order to prevent improper use of our site, or as otherwise necessary to defend against or assist in the investigation of improper or illegal activity on the website.
Children (12 years old or under)
The Museum does not knowingly collect personal information from children under 12 years of age. Children should always ask parents for permission before providing personal information to any Web site or purchasing any products or services on line. The Museum urges all parents to participate in their children’s exploration of the internet and to teach them about protecting their personal information while online.
Users under 18 years of age cannot make credit card purchases on our website.
By contacting us at email@example.com during normal business hours, parents or guardians of users 12 years old or younger may review any personal information we have regarding their children, require us to change such information, or prohibit us from collecting or maintaining any such information.
The Museum website uses a technology tool called a ‘cookie’. The cookie is a small text file that our website temporarily stores on your hard drive. When you return to our site your Web browser passes the cookie from your computer back to our website, so that we can recognize you as you move through our website (for instance, the cookie tells our website which shopping basket is yours). At no time will the cookie reveal to others your name, email address, street address, or telephone number (even if you have submitted this information to other areas of our website.)
The ATHM website automatically logs information such as IP address and browser type of all visitors for measuring the usage of our website. We use this information to analyze how visitors use our website, which helps us improve your experience.
ATHM Website Security
ATHM’s website uses Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption to process purchases made online. By using this technology, online customers can feel confident that their personal information is protected from interception by any third party. Although your order information is retained for our records, this information is never shared with other companies or persons.
When a secure connection is established between your browser and a website, any data that is transferred over the connection will be encrypted to prevent it from being viewed by a third party. Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption, the standard for most browsers and servers, makes it very difficult for anyone to intercept or decode messages exchanged over this type of secure connection.
To ensure that you are on a secure page, look for the closed key or lock on the bottom of your web browser during the checkout process.
Third Party Partners
ATHM has contracted for services with reputable third-party vendors in order to provide certain services to its online users. The Museum has taken all possible precautions to insure that the privacy of its online visitors is protected by any online partners. In cases when users leave the Museum’s site to visit one of the partners’ sites, users are encouraged to become familiar with the privacy statements of each site they visit.
The Museum site may contain links to other websites. Please note that when you click on one of these links, you are clicking to the site of another organization. We encourage you to read the privacy statements of other websites, as their policies may differ from ours.
If you have any questions or concerns about this privacy statement, our online practices or your dealings with this website, please contact:
American Textile History Museum
491 Dutton Street
Lowell, MA 01854
978-441-0400 x 234